Best Results Ever Achieved at The Hamble School in 2017
Team Hamble have achieved another set of exceptional results with more students than ever achieving top grades.
In a year where reformed, more challenging GCSE examinations have been introduced in English and mathematics, all of us at The Hamble School are delighted that our students continue to excel.
Following on from a highly successful Ofsted inspection where the school was judged as ‘Good’ with ‘Outstanding Leadership and Management’, the achievement of another set of record breaking results at The Hamble School now firmly cements us as the school of first choice in the community.
The Hamble School secure another positive Progress 8 score
In October the Progress 8 score (please see How does Progress 8 work? (Download PDF) guide for further information on how Progress 8 is calculated) for schools was released.
Once again, students at The Hamble School achieved a positive Progress 8 score (0.04); students at The Hamble School achieve better outcomes than other students of a similar ability nationally.
When comparing the results to other students nationally who have similar backgrounds such as gender, pupil premium and special educational needs, the Progress 8 score is an even more impressive +0.17. This absolutely reflects the impact of the increased levels of challenge across the school.
“Levels of challenge are high in almost all subjects.” – Ofsted 2017
Phenomenal outcomes in the core subjects
In 2017, the new pass rate of 9-4 was introduced by the Government to replace the old measure of A*-C.
64% of students achieved a grade 9-4 in English and mathematics – once again placing the outcomes of the students at The Hamble School above the national average. (73% in English and 72% in mathematics achieved a 9-4).
Phenomenal success has been achieved by students through massive increases in the number of top grades achieved in the core subjects:
- Approximately 60% of students achieved a grade 9-5 (roughly equivalent to an A*-B) in English and mathematics respectively;
- An average of 20% of students achieved a grade 9-7 (roughly equivalent to an A*-A) in English and mathematics respectively;
- Triple Science: 69% of students achieved an A*-B with an average 38% achieving an A*/A.
Outstanding outcomes across the curriculum
Students at The Hamble School study a broad and balanced curriculum and excel across the range of subjects offered. Please see below for a brief overview of the impressive A*/A grades achieved:
Congratulations go to every member of the community at The Hamble School; the staff, the parents/carers and most importantly the students themselves.
A final special mention must go to the top five attaining students in the year group; results such as this only come about through absolute commitment and a drive to achieve excellence.
- Lottie Ash: Achieved a grade 9 in English Language, three A*s – Spanish, Biology, History, a grade 8 in English Literature and Mathematics and four As – Physics, Chemistry, French and ECDL.
- Ashling James: Achieved grade 9 three subjects – English Language, English Literature and Mathematics, four A*s- French, History, ECDL, Biology, Chemistry and Physics, and an A in Spanish.
- Elyse Marshall: Achieved a grade 9 in English Literature and Mathematics, five A*s – Art, Product Design, ECDL, Science Core, Science Additional, a grade 8 in English Language and two As – History and Spanish.
- Charlie Clark: Achieved a grade 9 in Mathematics, four A*s – Physics, Chemistry, Biology, ECDL, a grade 8 in English Language and two As – History and Music.
- Holly Powell: Achieved a grade 9 in English Language and Mathematics, four A*s – French, PE, RE, Biology, a grade 8 in English Literature and three As – History, ECDL and Chemistry.
Education at The Hamble School is about ‘Achieving Excellence Together’ – the success for all of our students in their examinations will broaden their choices in the next stage of their life.
We congratulate each and every one of them and wish them well for the future.
GCSE Results Day 2017
Click the images for a larger view