Working At Hamble
Applying to Work at The Hamble School
I am delighted that you are considering an application to become part of The Hamble School staff. We are a happy, thriving and vibrant learning community for students aged 11-16. Our motto ‘Achieving Excellence Together’ encapsulates our ethos of high expectations and ambition for all students. We work together in partnership with parents/carers and the local community to ensure that students are supported to achieve their very best and leave The Hamble School as ‘lifelong learners’.
If you are thinking of applying to Hamble, or would like to find out more, I would encourage you to contact the school to arrange a tour and to speak with me. I would be delighted to meet with you and show you the fantastic opportunities the school has to offer.
The information below provides key information, which I believe will enable you to understand what the school has to offer and assist you in your application.
- Hamble is an 11-16 mixed comprehensive school serving the local catchment area. It is over-subscribed since September 2017 and is the local school of choice as well as a popular choice beyond Hamble into the outskirts of Southampton.
- There are currently 1134 students on roll.
- There is a strong academic and pastoral ethos at Hamble. All students are supported to achieve the highest standards and there is an emphasis on academic achievement and all round development through our extensive extra-curricular programme.
- The 2018 exam results are our best ever, with 57% of students achieving grade 5 or better in both English and mathematics (77% achieved grade 4 or better in these subjects) and 66% of students achieving 5 or more GCSEs including English and mathematics.
- Our motto is ‘Achieving Excellence Together’– this truly encapsulates the ethos of striving to achieve our very best in all that we do, our sense of teamwork and the supportive, inclusive environment at Hamble.
- The school has particular strengths in: English, Mathematics, Science, Humanities, Art, Music and Drama, with results significantly above national average.
- The school has also been very successful in closing the achievement gap for our disadvantaged students and prides itself on our aspirational, supportive and inclusive ethos.
- The school is set on an extensive and impressive campus which includes a sports hall, swimming pool, Olympic gymnastics hall, astro turf, hockey pitches, high quality tennis courts and extensive fields for football and athletics.
- The school has a long tradition of outstanding achievement in Sports and past students include Dani King, Megan Brickwood and Danny Ings.
- All staff employed at Hamble have free access to the sports facilities including free unlimited use of the gym and swimming pool. This provides an excellent opportunity to begin the day with invigorating exercise or unwind at the end of a busy day.
- The school has links with a number of schools abroad including South Africa and China and runs a wide range of local and international school trips.
- Staff development is a key priority at the school and staff have the opportunity to share good practice with other schools through our PiXL programme, links to local teaching schools such as the Thornden Learn Alliance, Wildern SCITT and local universities. The school supports staff to gain professional qualifications such as the NPQML, NPQSL, NPQH and has part-funded MA study in the past. There is also the opportunity to develop professional expertise through membership of school research based working parties and the extended Leadership Team secondments.
In short, this is an ambitious and forward thinking school, which is recognised for its strength in teaching and learning and outstanding leadership. There is a strong drive and focus on continuing to raise the progress, attainment and opportunities for all our students and therefore I am looking to appoint truly outstanding leaders and teachers who can make a significant contribution to our aim of ‘Achieving Excellence Together’. If you feel that you have that special something that we are looking for and want to work in a supportive, dynamic environment, then please do submit an application form or contact me for an informal discussion and tour of the school. I feel confident that you will be impressed and excited by our vision and determination to offer an outstanding education to the children of Hamble.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Miss L Cambridge
Headteacher BSc (Hons), MA Ed. NPQH